At St Dominic’s we aim to develop each student’s understanding, skills and strategies in Mathematics so that they can confidently use Maths in their everyday lives. We use the Victorian Curriculum, student assessment and data to target our Mathematics teaching and learning.
We believe an effective Mathematics program:
- uses a variety of teaching strategies and activity types
- places a strong emphasis on problem solving and regularly challenges students to engage with unfamiliar problems
- uses hands on materials and visuals to support student understanding
- promotes learning through collaboration and discussion with peers
- encourages students to be active learners and develop understandings and make connections for themselves
- provides intervention and extension to students who have been identified as needing additional support
- encourages and assists parents to support their child’s Mathematics learning at home.